Why We Use Reading Counts!
- Reading achievement is positively related to the amount of reading accomplished.
- Vocabulary and concept knowledge can be built through reading.
- Carefully-selected reading practice is one of the best ways to strengthen reading skills and foster the reading habit.
- Motivation is essential for maintaining a student’s sustained attention on reading.
- Comprehension, the goal of effective reading instruction, requires wide reading, responding to questions, and talking and writing about what is read.
- Struggling readers require a supportive literacy environment as part of a carefully planned intervention program.
- Families and communities have a critical role in helping students become successful readers.
- Assessment and evaluation are necessary in order to check student progress and adjust instruction.